Jorhat district was carved out of Sibsagar district in 1983 and made a separate district. Jorhat is one of Assam's largest towns and derives its name
from two haats or bazaars – Macharhat and Chowkihat
– on either bank of river Bhogdoi, a tributary of
Brahmaputra. The town gained in importance after
Ahom king Swargadeo Gaurinath relocated his capital
from Rangpur (present-day Sivasagar) in 1794. It was the last capital of the Ahom Kingdom and home to many historical monuments of Assamese culture. It was
destroyed during the Burmese raids before the British
began rebuilding in the early 1800s.
Today, Jorhat is referred to as Assam’s tea capital thanks to some 300 tea estates around.Many tea estates have colonial bungalows, some of which have been refurbished for high-end, niche tourists.