One of the oldest districts of Assam, Cachar district occupies an area of 3,786 sq. kms. The district was created in 1830 after annexation of the Kachari kingdom by the British. In 1854, North Cachar was annexed and tagged to the district. In 1951 erstwhile North Cachar sub division was made a separate district and taken out of Cachar. 1 July 1983 saw the creation of Karimganj district by curving out the eponymous subdivision from Cachar. This was repeated in 1989 with the creation of Hailakandi district
The name Cachar traces its origin to the Kachari kingdom (called Dimasa kingdom in medieval times). The district headquarters are located at Silchar.